Points for Individual Presentation

Below are the points I made for the pitching process:


My animations title is A toccata of Gallupis, and is based on a poem written by my father, and it is a story of these rare secretive forest dwelling creatures called gallupis. Galupi was actually a composer from sssss and although he never wrote a toccata, a fast paced snappy composition, in ssssssss wrote a poem about this imaginary piece of music. My father had seen this title and rearranged it to a toccata of galupies, like a herd or pride of galupies and wrote the poem that your going to hear shortly in my animatic.

Although the poem talks about their lives and their courting rituals, it does very little to describe what the gallupies were actually supposed to look like. All I had was that they had onyx stone eyes, horns and star like feet. So when it came to the character design it allowed me to have quite a large degree of freedom. I wanted to have them walking on two feet, and to have a spritelike feel to them, whilst at the same time having them definitely appear to be creatures rather then humanoids. As they where to have horns, I decided to look at the Thompson gazelle as inspiration for the facial features, the hair and tail to be similar to that of a lion, to give their look an almost regal and noble air. I wanted them to be elegant without being too feminine in their appearance.

For the sound of the piece I have recorded myself doing the narrative, and used a piece of music by Enya called Fairytale. Along with some water sound effects.

The duration for the piece is approximately 2.45sec.

Whilst this piece can stand alone as a single episode it can lend itself to be made into a seires.

Rather then just have the animation a representation of the poem, and due to the line in the poem, gallupis live on frangipani flowers, on love and on fresh air, and that’s why in this world of ours gallupis are so rare. I decided to use that as an opportunity to get an environmental point across, and look at the issue of deforestation and animals habitates being destroyed. So due to this rather then just enter it into normal film and animations competitions and festivals, I have been looking at envorimental ones, such as sssssssssssssssss and Im also in the process of contacting greenpeace to see if they could use the final piece for their own promotion. And from a personal level, my father sadly passed away before he had a chance to publish any of his poetry, so it gives me a chance to promote both his work and my own.

For the style of animation I would like the two characters, the male and female gallupis, to be created in Maya and Zbrush, with careful attention paid to the texturing and bump mapping, and for the background I want them to be matte painted by hand with either acrylic or watercolour depending on the colour saturation needed for the different scenes. With also the possibility of using photography mixed their aswell to give the bg a realistic element. A style that I quite like is the tale of how. A kind of dream like essence to it.

I’m would want to direct this piece and do the lighting and/or the the special effects and dynamics of the piece, and whilst I could do the modelling myself, I would rather find someone who was more proficient on Zbrush then me. I would be also looking for a animator, texturer, rigger, sound designer and editor. And also a matte painter who would also need to be able to create the poster and other promotional material.

For the production schedule I would like all concept art for the environments completed within two weeks of the team being assembled, a futher six weeks for creation and texturing of the two characters, and the painting of the backgrounds, and then that will leave us two weeks of term one for rigging and finishing touches.
Term two will consist of lighting and animation creation and rendering, and term three special effects/dynamics, compositing and rendering. The sound design can be started in term one.

No comments: